Sunday, February 3, 2013

STUFFED BOLLYWOOD BANANA PEPPERS!

Dear Vegetarians,
 
I didn't forget about you on the eve of Super Bowl Sunday. I feel like you guys always get screwed on this holiday (with all the food and drink, couldn't/shouldn't it be considered a holiday?). Besides nachos and pizza, essentially anything with copious amounts of cheese, what can you usually eat at a Super Bowl party? Listen, I'm not gonna give you some B-grade recipe for, say, tofu wings. So instead I'm sharing my recipe for STUFFED BOLLYWOOD BANANA PEPPERS!


 
Why Bollywood? This dish brings heat to your body, is jam-packed with masalas, and looks mouthwatering (though a few may be popping at the seams). See. Like a Bollywood star. OK, you caught me. I'm reaching for a name. Putting "Bollywood" in the dish is neither here nor there. But sounds catchy, right? 
 
Seriously though, this appetizer is one of my favorites because its easy and appealing to the eyes and taste buds.  I'll make these if I have guests coming over last minute and need to make a snack in a jiffy. However, they're impressive to take to parties, too.
 
I'm all for foods with a kick but, you do want to take care in removing the seeds inside a banana pepper else you may be taking the spicy life too far. Luckily the seeds are easy to remove. I usually cut and remove the top, and then take a teaspoon and scoop and discard them. What you're left with is a beautifully hallowed-out pepper begging to be stuffed.


 
The Damn!-That-Taste-So-Fresh dip I shared in my previous post pairs wonderfully with these peppers. And speaking of Bollywood and what pairs well with what, I would like to share THE perfect pair:
 


Again, neither here nor there, right? OK. I know why you're here so here's my recipe!

STUFFED BOLLYWOOD BANANA PEPPERS
yield = 10 stuffed peppers

potato stuffing
Ingredients
  • 2 medium or 15 ounces Idaho potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 1 pound or 10 whole banana peppers
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 tablespoons chopped mint leaves
  • 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • extra ghee for coating

How To Throw Down
  1. Heat a pot with approximately 30 ounces tap water (or enough to cover potatoes) over high heat and boil.
  2. While water is boiling, seed and hallow banana peppers. Place on parchment paper-lined sheet pan. Set aside.
  3. Add potatoes to water and boil, about 7 to 9 minutes. Drain immediately. Place potatoes in a mixing bowl.
  4. Preheat broiler.
  5. Add all remaining ingredients to bowl with potatoes. Using you hands, combine to make stuffing.
  6. Stuff banana peppers with potato mixture.
  7. Gently rub ghee skin side up of banana peppers. Broil for 12 minutes.
  8. Remove from oven and transfer to serving dish.
P.S. If you have leftovers, chop up your stuffed peppers and use it in a masala frittata. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment