Sunday, March 17, 2013

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY! Eat ya damn greens!

Small, old, bearded men who enjoy partaking in good-humored mischief, drinking and singing, and storing away their coins in a pot, deep into the countryside. Hmm. Sounds like just about every Indian uncle I know but no, I'm actually talking about Leprechauns, the star of tomorrow's holiday. I did some research on the elf (OK, by research I mean I Wiki'd it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leprechaun), and though the folklore is fascinating, what I found most interesting was the night time avatar or cousin (depending on where you live) of the Leprechaun, the Clurichaun. This jolly lil thing is basically a drunk Leprechaun who goes out and gets piss drunk post work, every night. In other words, every New Yorker I know and perhaps me a coupla years back? (Aunties, if you're reading this, I'm kidding. But not really. I'm sure your Rinku, Tinka, and Tuli have the same story.)

I figure the vast majority of people will be Clurichauns Saturday night with St. Paddy's being celebrated this weekend in classic New York fanfare with the parade and bar/pub specials city-wide. I remember loving this holiday when I was a new New Yorker. Being younger and more invincible then, I thrived on the non-stop debauchery from 10 AM onwards and an excuse to be, er, sartorially liberal (Real Talk: every one knows Halloween is an excuse for women to dress trampy. St. Patrick's Day is an extension of that, the only parameter being that ya ho-gear be green). Ah, slutty leprechauns and drunkards. How I miss partaking in thee splendor.

But not really.

I'll be spending my St. Paddy's day weekend this year by going to see a play, celebrating one of my dearest Friend's birthday by way of karaoke, going to a baby shower, attending a lecture on how to grow plants in a New York apartment, and attending service at the Baha'i center. No, no, no, I don't say this to be like ooh, look at me, I'm so cool simply because I don't care that I'm not cool.

OK. Maybe there's some element of that tucked away in there, else why the need to mention it, right? You got me. 

But more so, I'm tickled with this transition. When did it happen? How did Soni Satpathy go from green beer one year to wanting a green thumb the next? Perhaps, its not growing up so much as growing out to expand, to include more things in life? Or maybe the hunt for the proverbial four-leaf clover and the notion of what it means to "get lucky" is evolving? I dunno. My desire for fortune and what that fortune includes is definitely being redefined and I'm learning long, nocturnal benders, be it on holidays or regular ole weekends, aren't helping me get any closer to that pot o' gold at the end of the rainbow.

Or maybe, just maybe, this evergreen is finally getting old. And I'm gonna own that so much so that I'm gonna get all granny on ya right now and tell you not to wear ya greens, but eat your greens. Keep looking for 'em clovers but in the meantime, lets get those leafy greens in us. I have a tasty lil sago (spinach) recipe for you that takes no time at all to make. Bust out your frozen spinach (nothing wrong with frozen veggies, Loves. All the nutrients are packed in there), thaw it, and let's throw down! Here goes:

Screw the Irish, Luck of the Indian Sago
makes 2 cups; serves 4 to 6 depending on how much greens ya like

What you need to throw down
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 5 garlic pods, sliced thin
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
  • 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
  • 2 dry red chili, crushed
  • 1/2 small onion, sliced thin
  • 24 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed, extra moisture removed
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt

How to throw down
  1. Heat a heavy bottom pot with oil over medium heat.
  2. Once hot, add garlic, cumin, mustard, and red chili; saute for 1 to 2 minutes or until garlic slices are golden-brown.
  3. Add onions to pot and continue sauteing for 3 minutes. Add spinach, mix, and saute for 7 minutes.
  4. Add salt. Remove pot from heat and transfer to serving dish.

BUT WAIT! You still got the Irish on your brain, huh? And when you think Irish, you think potatoes? Well, mind you, Indians know potatoes well, too. We looooove our aloo. Hell, we'll stuff a potato with more potato. So, in homage to our green theme, I have a spinach and potato (Saint) patty recipe that will surely be a crowd pleaser. Again, thaw that spinach and let's get cooking!


Sago Bora (Spinach Patty)
makes 1 dozen patties

What you need to throw down
  • a brown paper bag
  • 1 large Idaho potato
  • 12 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed, excess moisture removed
  • 1 small onion, small dice
  • 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 teaspoons ground roasted cumin
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 3 tablespoons canola oil

How to throw down
  1. Place potato in brown lunch bag and microwave for 5 minutes. Once cooked, remove the potato from the bag and, using fingers, peel. Smash potato with fork. Reserve.
  2. While the potato is in the microwave, mix spinach, onion, breadcrumbs, garlic, cumin, salt, and chili powder in bowl. Add potatoes and thoroughly combine.
  3. Take spinach-potato mixture and form twelve balls.
  4. You will make these in batches - do NOT overcrowd skillet. Heat skillet with oil over medium to high heat, about 1 minute.
  5. Add balls to pan and using a spatula, flatten to make patties (boras). Cook for 6 to 7 minutes over low to medium heat. Flip and continue cooking for another 4 minutes to finish. Remove from heat and continue process with remaining balls.

Enjoy your Saint Patrick's Day Weekend, Loves! Wear your green, eat your greens, get lucky, and check back in with Masala Merrynade on Monday!




 



No comments:

Post a Comment